You can bet this spicy bourbon bbq sauce will be a grilling hit. And not only for the bourbon undertones (which you’ll love). There’s a smoky spice here that’s just to die for with ribs and steaks. Best of all, it takes no time to make: 10 minutes of prep and 20 minutes on the stove, and you’re done. It’s perfect for whipping up on the fly to impress with a homemade bbq sauce, not something out of a bottle.
Sriracha sauce provides some of the heat (and adds to the hint of garlic), but the real spicy star here is chipotle powder. It’s smoky and potent, coming from 100% dried and smoked red jalapeño, not cut with other spices like generic chili powder typically is. So the spice is strong with the chipotle addition.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Cherry Habanero BBQ Sauce: Love that sweet tartness of cherries? You’ll love this sauce. The habs natural sweetness works perfectly here.
- Smoky Espresso BBQ Sauce: We use espresso coffee here to add in a deliciously rich earthiness.
- Homemade Sriracha Sauce: Learn how to make your own version of this famous hot sauce.
Love smoky heat? This chili powder duo provides plenty of it. Both medium-heat: Ground chipotle (2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units) and chile de arbol (15,000 to 30,000 SHU). They're perfect for dry rubs or finishing spices for BBQ and red meats.
Spicy Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine all ingredients.
- Heat the sauce, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reaches a boil, then turn the heat to low.
- Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and allow thew sauce to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use immediately*, or pour the sauce into an airtight jar or container for future barbecue needs!