Here’s some fiery and herby goodness — spicy herb chicken strips make a perfect (and easy) appetizer or meal. You have so many possibilities. Serve them on their own with marinara sauce (or a dip of you choosing.) Pair this herb chicken with mashed potatoes (like this tasty jalapeño popper mash.) Or use them as the meat in a stellar chicken sandwich.
The addition of the fresh lime gives this herb chicken a light sour twist. It works wonders to boost that herb flavor. And it makes this chicken recipe a perfect meat to serve with Mexican food like fajitas, tacos, or even nachos.
This recipe uses both chipotle powder (providing a little smokiness) and cayenne pepper powder (adding bigger heat.) If you like things extra spicy (or want less spice) adjust the level of cayenne before touching the chipotle powder. An extra half teaspoon of cayenne adds a definite heat bump. Omitting altogether really tames the heat. There’s still some spiciness there from the chipotle, but the edge will dulled quite a bit.
Let the chicken sit in the marinade for as long as possible prior to cooking. You want it to take in all of the potent flavor of these Mediterranean herbs. I recommend at least one hour. But don’t be shy with the time: The longer you allow this spicy herb chicken to marinate, the better it will taste. For best results (if you’re a next-day meal planner), get that chicken marinating and then store covered in the refrigerator overnight.
Spicy Herb Chicken Strips
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 Lime halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder add more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper add more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips and place them in a small glass bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of both lime halves over the chicken.
- Add the oregano, basil, thyme, chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to the same bowl.
- Massage the herbs and spices into the chicken meat. Set it aside until ready to cook.*
- Place a griddle or frying pan over high heat until hot.
- Add the oil to the pan then lay the chicken strips in with a little space in-between.
- Fry on each side for 5 minutes or until cooked through – cut to check before serving.
- Removed the chicken from the pan and set to the side for 5 minutes prior to serving.