Spicy roasted chickpeas are a super snack, a much healthier alternative to chips. Really, their flavor and texture will keep you coming back for more. These mighty little legumes soak up flavor fast. Plus, they offer the perfect opportunity to use those old spices sitting in the back of your cupboard. We offer one spice combo here but feel free to mix up the flavors until you find your perfect combination. For instance, we have a spicier version of homemade roasted chickpeas, featuring cayenne pepper. Use your imagination to bring these chickpeas to life.
For the best result, you should make certain the chickpeas are as dry as possible before the initial baking period. First, rinse thoroughly to ensure the brine is removed, as this can prevent the chickpeas from becoming crispy. If you have time, allow them to air dry for 30 – 60 minutes, or you can gently pat them dry with some paper towels first. Be sure to eat the chickpeas immediately. They will lose their crunch and become chewy if left sitting around for too long.
See this recipe being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Smoked Paprika Potato Chips: They provide a delicious smoky simmer with every bite.
- Fiery Smoked Almonds: A delicious healthy snack with a bold, smoky twist.
- Spicy Mixed Nuts: A cocktail party staple, and so tasty with the spiciness added.
Love smoky heat? This chili powder duo provides plenty of it. Both medium-heat: Ground chipotle (2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units) and chile de arbol (15,000 to 30,000 SHU). They're perfect for dry rubs or finishing spices for BBQ and red meats.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 can cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chickpeas from the can or jar and rinse them with cold water.
- Place them on a baking tray removing as much moisture as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime combine spices and salt in a small bowl.
- Remove chickpeas from the oven and drizzle over the olive oil and shake the tray so they are all well coated.
- Sprinkle over the mixed spices and salt and shake the tray once again to ensure a thorough coating.
- Roast in the center of the oven for a further 30 minutes or unit perfectly crisp.
- Serve immediately.