Here’s a delightful appetizer from the Mediterranean, with a spicy but subtle twist. Chipotle and sun-dried tomato bruschetta packs a bunch of flavor, with a little heat and a touch of smokiness. It’s perfect served before (or with) steak, pasta dishes, and more.
This recipe will work well with whatever bread you like best but our favorites are sourdough or rye. They both have a good chewy texture which carries the juices from the tomatoes very well.
Feel free to adjust the amount of chipotle powder in the recipe. A half a teaspoon provides a mild to low-medium heat for most, but you could increase (or decrease) the amount to your liking and heat tolerance. Know, if you’re removing chipotle pepper, you’re taking away some of that subtle smokiness that works so well in the recipe. Feel free to also experiment with a little less or more garlic and onion powder to balance out the tastes to your liking.
To avoid soggy toast, it’s best to consume the sun-dried tomato bruschetta straight away, so don’t hang around or make them too early. Plan ahead for your party and make these one of the last items you make prior to the start. If you must make them ahead, store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
See it being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Tomato Soup: Tomatoes and chipotle are a natural pairing – the chipotle adds a nice depth of smokiness and heat here.
- Mushrooms With Chipotle Peppers: Earthy mushrooms are made better with a touch of fire and smoke.
- Smoky Chipotle Potato Salad: A twist on the summer classic side.
Chipotle And Sun-Dried Tomato Bruschetta
- Peel the garlic clove and rub the garlic over the surface of the bread slices.
- Place a griddle pan over medium heat and add the garlic clove to the pan along with the oil.
- Stir the garlic around the pan for 2 minutes and remove.
- Place the bread into the pan and cook until crisp on each side (approximately 2 minutes each side.)
- Remove from the pan and place on serving plate.
- Chop the tomatoes into small cubes and place into a small bowl.
- Slice up the sun-dried tomatoes and add to the bowl along with the onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and salt.
- Mix to combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture onto the toasted bread and serve immediately.