Mushrooms with chipotle peppers are a perfect “meaty” vegetarian side, but they can also be a light meal all on their own. It’s a perfect topping for thick toasted bread smothered with butter. Or, for something more decadent (and beefier), try these tasty mushrooms on top of steak. You can even try chopping the mushrooms smaller and make a deliciously spicy Beef Wellington. Or pair them with eggs for a smoky morning breakfast that you won’t forget!
Chipotle chili peppers are simply smoked dried jalapeño peppers. If jalapeños are too spicy (or not spicy enough), any smoked, dried pepper will work well with this recipe. For instance, ancho peppers are a great alternative here if you want something milder. They offer up a sweet and smoky flavor, but with much less heat (1,000 to 1,500 Scoville heat units compared to the chipotle at 2,500 to 8,000 SHU.)
Before you get started, be sure to check out how to rehydrate peppers for the best flavor. This article will give you the simple steps to get the most from your dried peppers. You’ll need it for step one of this recipe.
See mushrooms with chipotle peppers being made:
Must-read related posts:
- Chipotle Brussels Sprouts: Earthy and smoky, they are another exceptional side for red meats.
- Spicy Mushroom Risotto: A delicious side or meal – and one that’s easy to make early and eat throughout the week.
- Honey Chipotle Wings: Smoky and sweet are an incredible pairing for fiery wings.
Mushrooms With Chipotle Peppers
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic crushed
- 7 cups button mushrooms
- 1 bunch parsley
- Rehydrate the chipotle peppers and remove the seeds and chop the flesh into very small slices.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp kitchen towel to remove any dirt. There is no need to remove the skin.
- Place a large frying pan over a high heat and add the olive oil.
- Finely chop the onion into small chunks and and add to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic to the pan and stir while cooking for a further minute.
- Add mushrooms and chopped chipotle peppers to the pan and cook for a further 6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and finely chop the parsley to garnish.
- Serve immediately.