Spicy mushroom risotto is a traditional Italian dish with a delicious fiery twist. Don’t expect leftovers, but if you decide to make extra you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to four days and reheat in the microwave until piping hot. This is an excellent meal to make over a weekend and portion out for lunches during the week — both tasty and filling. Plus you can dress it up (more on that below.)
Our spicy mushroom risotto recipe will offer up a mildly spiced dish, depending on the red chili pepper that you use. We like red jalapeño or, for more heat, you can go with an African birdseye or Thai chili. Feel free to experiment here and adapt the chili type (and the amount) to fit your heat tolerance. Of course, for those looking for something very mild, opt for a red bell pepper and simply let the powdered cayenne do its thing.
As a serving suggestion: Try including walnut pieces, balsamic vinegar, and of course more parmesan. All work very well. And no risotto would be complete without a side helping of arugula to add some healthy greens.
Mushroom fan? More spicy recipes you’ll love
Spicy Mushroom Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 hot red chili pepper chopped with seeds removed
- 3 to 4 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 cups white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth vegetable broth works as well
- ¾ cups shredded parmesan
- ¼ cup butter
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and a tablespoon of butter, and stir until melted.
- Add the chopped onion and fry for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic and red chili pepper and allow the mix to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the sliced mushroom into the pan and stir gently whilst cooking for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and paprika then add the rice to the pan.
Through the following steps you must stir constantly
- Add 1/4 of the wine then stir and cook until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add 1/4 of the broth then stir and cook until the broth is absorbed.
- Repeat the last 2 steps until the rice is cooked through. Add some extra water if required to reach the current consistency.
- Remove the risotto from the heat and add parmesan and butter then stir until glossy.
- Serve immediately.
1 cup of rice and 8 cups of liquid??