This chipotle shortbread is a traditional Scottish shortbread recipe with a little Mexican twist. You get the smoky fire of chipotle pepper mixed with the tasty butteriness of shortbread. It just works. Not only does chipotle shortbread taste delicious, but it is also one of the simplest biscuit recipes you are likely to come across. No need for chilling or proofing, and all you need is a food processor and an oven.
Using a food processor means less air is incorporated into the dough, which prevents spreading when cooking. That keeps the biscuits thick and crumbly. Be sure to handle the dough as little as possible, as you want to keep it as cool as possible. Cook at a high temperature quickly and remove from the oven as soon as you see any browning.
Heat-wise, this recipe is pretty tame, so it can be shared with children. However, if you like to kick it up a notch or two, double or triple the amount of chipotle powder used in the shortbread mixture (to a teaspoon or one and a half teaspoons). If you want to keep the shortbread on the milder side, you can omit the chipotle powder from the final dusting of sugar if desired.
See our easy chipotle shortbread being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Chocolate Chip Cookies: A delicious, bold take on this popular snack.
- Aztec Hot Chocolate: Chipotle provides a tasty smoky undertone to the drink.
- Smoked Paprika Potato Chips: Chipotle could be subbed in here for a bigger heat.
Love smoky heat? This chili powder duo provides plenty of it. Both medium-heat: Ground chipotle (2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units) and chile de arbol (15,000 to 30,000 SHU). They're perfect for dry rubs or finishing spices for BBQ and red meats.
Easy Chipotle Shortbread
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly butter a baking tray to prevent the shortbread from sticking.
- Place all of the biscuit ingredients into a food processor and pulse until they begin to come together.
- Turn out onto a clean surface.
- Use a floured rolling pin to make the dough to around ½ inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter or a glass to cut round discs of dough.
- Place on the baking tray and cook for 8-12 minutes – watching very carefully for browning.
- As soon as you see any color beginning to develop on the shortbread remove the tray from the oven.
- While still hot, sprinkle over the extra sugar and chipotle powder (if desired.)
- Allow to cool completely before eating.