You’ve likely had deliciously creamy, slightly spicy Yum Yum sauce at Japanese hibachi steak houses. It works so well with so many things – steak, shrimp, fries, fried rice, and vegetable crudité just to name a few. It’s very tasty and – good news – very simple to make at home. In fact, this homemade yum yum sauce takes just minutes.
The heat in our homemade Yum Yum sauce is mild. It’s just a little touch of paprika, an even tinier dash of cayenne, plus a little pungency from garlic powder. Want it spicier? Ramp up the heat by doubling the cayenne to 1/2 teaspoon to start. Add more, then, as needed.
Make sure to rest the sauce for at least one hour prior to use to allow the flavors to completely meld. The sauce won’t quite have the right Yum Yum flavor until then.
Want to see more ideas for this terrific sauce? Check out our post that breaks down six delicious Yum Yum sauce uses.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Homemade Sriracha: Making a version of the famous chili garlic sauce is a fun kitchen adventure.
- DIY Harissa Recipe: This famous Tunesian chili paste is chock full of spices. Bold, fiery, and delicious.
- Homemade Yakiniku Sauce: If you like your BBQ sauce on the sweeter side, you’ll want to explore this recipe.
Homemade Yum Yum Sauce
- Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour prior to using to allow the flavors to fully meld.