Here’s a light summer salad with a zesty kick! As is, this spicy mango avocado salad makes a great appetizer or side. Or top it with grilled chicken or shrimp to turn it into a full meal. It’s a quick and easy dish that is sure to impress.
This spicy mango avocado salad gets its heat from habanero pepper. This is an extra-hot chili(100,000 to 350,000 Scoville heat units), so it’s a big heat. To add a little extra fruitiness to the salad without reducing the heat, swap out the habanero for it’s slightly sweeter (but just as spicy) cousin, the scotch bonnet pepper. Want to see the differences? Read our PepperScale showdown on the two peppers.
If you’re looking to lessen the spiciness, consider using either a red jalapeño or red serrano chili. Both are medium heat chilies, and their red forms take on a sweeter flavor than the bright, grassy bite they provide when used green. You want that sweetness as it works incredibly well with mango. Yes, they aren’t as fruity as a habanero or scotch bonnet, but they certainly are less fiery in flavor.
Like this salad? You’ll like these too:
- Smoky Chipotle Potato Salad: This is a perfect smoky and bold side for grilled steaks.
- Spicy Watermelon Salad: So refreshing, the pairing of watermelon and jalapeño is one you’ll love.
- Spicy Pineapple, Avocado, And Black Bean Salad: Another salad pairing tropical fruit and chili peppers. The avocado and black beans add a hearty earthiness.
Spicy Mango Avocado Salad
- Fresh greens
- 2 Hass avocados peeled and cubed
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- Lime wedges
- Blend mango, vinegar, lime juice, ginger, sugar, Dijon mustard, cilantro, lime zest, habanero, red onion, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Keep blender running and remove the lid. Slowly pour in oil and continuing blending for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Remove from blender.
- Combine in a large salad bowl the mango, avocado, and greens.
- Pour dressing over top to taste.
- Toss and serve.