A delicious Ethiopian spice blend…
If you’re aiming for authentic Ethiopian cuisine, getting to know berbere spice mix is a critical first step. It’s a blend that’s used for everything from a steak and chicken rub to a finishing season for vegetables and dips. The heat is mild – delivered from chili powder (a spice mix itself) and paprika.
This berbere spice mix recipe is quick to make, using pre-ground spices many of which are common to a well-stocked spice rack. For an even better flavor, try toasting fresh whole spices instead, then crushing them using a mortar and pestle.
Berbere Spice Mix
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredient. Store in an airtight jar or container.
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!