Habanero lemonade plays with fire in all the right ways. This is one seriously bold drink that’s full of contrasts: tangy and sweet, fiery and thirst quenching. And (for the adults over 21 in the room), it’s a delicious pairing with vodka or bourbon for a memorable spicy cocktail.
If habanero peppers are too fiery for you, take a look at our jalapeño lemonade instead. Jalapeño peppers are just a hint of spice compared to the extra-hot spiciness of the habanero. Plus, they may be easier to source if your grocer tends not to stock the spiciest of chilies.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Carrot And Ginger Juice: Earthy sweet, with warmth from ginger and a red chili of your choice.
- Jalapeño And Blackberry Slushie: Rich in sweetness with just enough heat.
- Jalapeño Mint Smoothie: Bright, fiery, and minty fresh.
Fiery and refreshing
- 1 gallon water
- 12 lemons
- 3 habanero peppers seeds removed and sliced
- 3 cups sugar
- Lemon slices for serving, optional
- Halve the lemons, then squeeze out the juice into a bowl. Set the bowl to the side.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pot and add the sugar. Bring the pot to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add the habanero peppers to the sugar water and continue to simmer the mix for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, then remove the habanero slices from the water.
- Place the remaining water in a large pitcher, then add the sugar water and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Put the pitcher into the refrigerator and allow the lemonade to chill for 30 minutes to one hour, at minimum.
- Serve over ice. Add lemon slices (optional).
Want it spicier? increase the amount of habanero used. We do not recommend leaving the habanero slices in the lemonade.
Calories: 169kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 1gFat: 0.4gSaturated Fat: 0.03gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.01gSodium: 14mgPotassium: 119mgFiber: 2gSugar: 40gVitamin A: 36IUVitamin C: 46mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 1mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!