Spicy food fans, start your morning in the best possible way with a beautiful jalapeño green smoothie. This is one nutrient-rich spicy smoothie with lots of fresh flavors to enjoy. Plus, it’s a totally fun base from which to experiment. You can add all sorts of healthy ingredients to really amp up the nutritional value here.
Of course, the heat of your green smoothie will depend on how much jalapeño pepper you use and how hot that chili pepper is. Jalapeños can range from 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units, so keep it in mind when making the call on how much to add. Supermarket-bought jalapeño peppers are often on the milder side, so you’ll want to gauge the heat a bit at a time. Adding more can easily be done since we’re blending to smooth.
You could also opt for a slightly hotter chili pepper if you’re looking for more spiciness from your green smoothie. Serrano peppers are also common in stores and pack a much hotter punch (10,000 to 23,000 Scoville units.) They tend to be smaller than jalapeños, but you may want to still start with a half and ramp up from there.
Feel free to play around with the flavors and combinations. Add some of the following to your green smoothie if you fancy a change. They all taste great and each adds even more nutritional value to your drink.
- Chia seeds
- Fresh ginger
- A pinch of turmeric (just a pinch as it can drastically change the color of your smoothie!)
- Lemon juice
Our jalapeño green smoothie is meant for immediate enjoyment. It won’t keep well. The color also will turn from green to brown over time, so after a day or two it won’t look very appetizing. Make it and enjoy it today!
See it being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too!
- Jalapeño Mint Smoothie: Want something with a fresher taste? Mint is it.
- Jalapeño And Blackberry Slushie: So refreshing – a perfect pick-me-up on a summer day.
- Spicy Carrot And Ginger Juice: Carrot is an unsung pairing with chili peppers. Earthy and sweet. The ginger adds a delicious flavor twist.
Jalapeño Green Smoothie
- Prepare ingredients by removing skin and stone from avocado, cutting the skin from lime, and peel and chop apple and cucumber roughly.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and pulse a few times to begin.
- When the ingredients are all roughly chopped, turn the blender to high until completely smooth.
- Pour over ice and enjoy immediately.