Hummus is a super simple dish to make, and spicing it up is as easy as a little crushed red pepper and paprika. It’s great with crackers, and it’s just as delicious with apple slices or grapes. The fruity sweetness and spice are such a tasty combo.
There’s a decent amount of heat already built into this recipe. But the spiciness comes from common spice rack spices, so you can easily control the amount. If you’re looking for a milder “spicy” hummus, simply halve the amounts. You could also just remove the crushed red pepper, keeping the paprika as it’s much milder (as long as you aren’t using hot paprika.) Or increase the amount of red pepper flakes used If you’d like a spicier dish. Though we recommend making the hummus, tasting it, and then adjusting the heat to taste.
This spicy hummus, like many hummuses, is really easy to make. This is a “grab the ingredients, put in a food processor, and pulse blend to smooth” type of recipe. Yes, you’ll likely need to go to the store for some ingredients (tahini, for instance), but this is the kind of recipe that’s perfect for quick party prep. Just serve with crackers, fresh cut vegetables, and/or fruits and you’re on your way.
Like this recipe? You’ll like these hummus recipes too:
- Chipotle: These smoked, dried jalapeños bring a delicious earthy, smokiness to the dish.
- Cilantro Jalapeño: A bright, fresh bite is added to your hummus, deliciously fresh tasting.
- Spicy Avocado: Avocado and jalapeño bring a beautiful green color to the dish. It’s earthy with bite.
- 1 can chickpeas 15 oz, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water use only the amount needed for your preferred consistency
- Salt to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil optional (to add to top)
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Slowly add in water and continue to blend until the hummus hits the perfect consistency for you.
- Top the hummus with extra virgin olive oil (optional).